We are excited to announce that we have prayerfully decided to move to SE Asia to continue the fight against human modern-day slavery! After 3 months of serving in Cambodia and working on the prevention and recovery fronts of trafficking, we have decided to continue this initiative in one of the least reached areas of SE Asia. Known for one of the most notorious red light districts in the world and it’s beautiful beaches, SE Asia shows both what God intended for his creation and the overwhelming reality of brokenness and desperation in the sex industry.
The numbers are shocking…
- 4.5 million people in sexual exploitation.
- 14.2 million in forced labor.
- 2.2 million in state imposed labor.
- 99% of people are NEVER rescued.
- EVERY 30 seconds somebody is forced into modern-day slavery.
- The average price (in today’s dollars) to purchase a slave in 1850 was $40,000.
- Today, the average price to purchase a slave, as shared by rescue organizations is $72. This is typical.
- 1-2% are rescued.
- The average age of a trafficking victim is 12 years old.
Allie and I will be working with a small group of missionaries from a Justice and Compassion team of the CCMA who were sent to SE Asia to focus on church planting and evangelism. Although the organization has been in SE Asia for 70+ years, they saw our town as a particularly unreached region and it wasn’t long before they saw a need for social justice. We are excited to be working with people who are taking a holistic approach to missions through Evangelism, Community Development and Social Issues. Allie and I consider ourselves blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of starting a ministry branch while being a part of something much larger at the same time.
What the next months ahead look like for us!
- Raise Financial & Prayer Support
- Financial – We have created a budget based on an initial 2 year commitment. See our support page for ways to partner with us financially.
- Prayer– Living overseas has given us a new appreciation for prayer, especially knowing that we had family and friends praying for us back home. Christ created the church as a body of believers to journey together and we are looking for partners who feel led to be part of this journey to SE Asia. You can partner with us by signing up for our newsletter here.
- Assimilate to SE Asian Culture and Build Relationships. Our team requires 6 months of language studies in country to have a base for communicating, gaining trust, spreading the gospel and making relationships.
- Create Ministry. We want to have a presence in the heart of the Red Light District. Implementing a ministry that brings people of all kinds closer into relationship with Jesus Christ. A part of this will be a hair ministry; a way to love people, promote therapeutic skill learning and teach them a new trade to support themselves and their families.
We are so excited to see what God is going to do in SE Asia. We would love to talk with you more about our mission in person before we leave to encourage you about what God is doing in our lives. Awareness is a huge passion of ours so if you think your church might be interested, please free to email us or give us a call.
Paul and Allie